I’m figuring this out as I go, but after a month with our new babysitter, here is what I am doing:
- Texting with sitter in Spanish
- Speaking with sitter (partly) in Spanish
- Reading bilingual children’s books with my 2-year-old son* and watching Little Pim DVDs and Spanish shows like Pocoyo with him
- Taking a short, 75 minute beginner conversational Spanish class each Saturday at Idlewild Books
- Occasionally reading Spanish-language sites such as People en Espanol
*Initially I mostly read in English, hoping that our sitter would read the same books in Spanish and he’d figure it out., and eyeing the Spanish myself while I was reading to try to pick up some vocabulary and grammar. Our sitter has mostly been taking advantage of the warm weather, however, rather than staying indoors reading, and some of the books are only in Spanish, so I do sometimes read to him in Spanish and hope he doesn’t pick up my non-native accent from that since he hears far more Spanish from his sitter. Please let me know your thoughts on this in the comments!